About Me

My photo
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
Like a doves under the oak trees, the cool breeze on my wings, a butterfly visits. Silently awaiting the visit of my Shepard, to set with me, and teach me to fly.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

An old-fashioned Cornmeal Pancake Recipe

My kids and I were at the park the other day, so I started speaking of recipes, and Paula Deen. The next thing I know, one of the ladies asked me about a pancake recipe that Paula had made on Tv. (I will call this friend Sally to ensure privacy) Sally had said that it was made of cornmeal, and seemed simple enough, but that she couldn't get it ot come out right. I said, "Are you talking about 'ho cake'? Sally didn't remember the name, but I said, "I can't believe you are talking about 'ho cake'! My great grandaddy lived on mostly fish and ho cakes. That's a basic southern recipe, and I'm sure that I have it in my families cook book." So, I was laughing, that Paula Deen had made this very simple meal, and gotten so much credit for a very old southern recipe. Anyway, I'm sure that Paula Deen probably put her own 'spin' on it, and made it will other items to make a wonderful meal. Here's the recipe I found, if you want to try it.

Ho Cake

1 cup plain corn meal
water or milk to taste
Salt to taste

Mix thoroughly all ingredients. Grease a small iron skillet. Cook until brown, then turn and cook the other side. Serves 1-4. Serve immediately.

This was my great-grandaddy's recipe. I never met him, but I know he thought it would taste best with fresh fish.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good recipe! The simpler ones are always the best! Love the new layout :)

    ReplyDelete